2018 University of Johannesburg Visualise Your Thesis Competition
2. Participating Institution
University of Johannesburg
3. Website (clause 1)
4. Time Zone (clause 4)
Pretoria, South Africa
5. Competition Period (clause 5)
Commences: 27 July
Ends: 28 August
6. Entry Restrictions (clause 6)
Entry is only open to individuals, who, during the Competition Period, are the University of Johannesburg’s currently-enrolled graduate researchers undertaking Research Master’s or Doctoral degrees.
7. Entry Method (clause 7)
Each entrant must:
- submit a short, eye-catching 60-second digital display which encapsulates their thesis (ePoster) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of the Competition Period;
- use the Poster Template (available on the Website) to generate their Competition entry in accordance with the guidelines specified in the Submission Checklist (available on the Website);
- include complete and correct references for any resources used to create the ePoster, including citation of any images, audio, and video; and
- ensure that the use of media belonging to third parties (including images, audio and video files) complies with copyright legislation and regulations and the Competition Terms.
8. Maximum Number of Entries (clause 8)
There is only one entry permitted from each entrant.
9. Privacy Laws (clause 10)
The University of Melbourne – Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic)
University of Johannesburg – Protection of Private Information Act 2013
10. Privacy Policies (clause 10)
The University of Melbourne – www.unimelb.edu.au/governance/compliance/privacy
University of Johannesburg – https://www.uj.ac.za/about/Pages/TCs.aspx
11. Content (clause 11)
Any materials submitted by an entrant via the Competition including but not limited to presentations, comments, recordings and images.
12. Winner (clause 16)
One first placed winner, one second placed winner and one Viewer’s Choice winner.
13. Judging Details (clause 16)
This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the Winner. The entrants to the Competition will be judged by a panel established by the Participating Institution on 23 August 2018 at Madibeng Council Chambers. The panel will use the Judging Criteria (Available on the Website) to determine the Winner.
14. Prize (clause 17)
The first place winner will receive a Lenovo tablet, the second place winner will receive a book voucher worth R350 and the Viewer’s Choice winner will receive a book voucher worth R250.
15. Claim Prize (clause 17)
The Winner must contact the University of Johannesburg by 21 September 2018 and provide proof of identity in order to collect the prize.
16. Winner Notification (clause 18)
The Winner will be contacted via their submitted telephone and/or email address.
17. Replacement Winner (if required) (clause 20)
The re-selection of the Winner (if required) will take place at the Postgraduate School Seminar Room on 30 August 2018.
18. Replacement Winner Notification (if required) (clause 20)
Any Replacement Winner will be contacted via their submitted telephone and/or email address.
19. Replacement Winner Claim Prize (if required) (clause 20)
Any Replacement Winner must contact the University of Johannesburg by 21 September 2018 and provide proof of identity in order to collect the Prize.
- By entering the Competition, you agree to be bound by the Terms of the Competition. The Terms governing the Competition include these General Terms, the Schedule to these Terms and any instructions relating to the Competition on the Participating Institution’s Website or from the Participating Institution’s Coordinator. Only entries that comply with the Terms will be considered valid entries to this Competition.
- Any capitalised terms used in these General Terms have the meaning given in the Schedule, unless stated otherwise. In the event of any inconsistency between the Schedule to the Terms (Schedule) and these General Terms, the Schedule will take precedence.
- The Visualise Your Thesis competition format and resources have been founded and designed by The University of Melbourne. The University of Melbourne has granted a licence to the Participating Institution permitting the Participating Institution to run this Competition. The Participating Institution is solely responsible for the running of the
Competition and The University of Melbourne is not liable for the operation of this Competition in any way, including without limitation selection of the Winner and any Prizes (if offered by the Participating Institution).
- All times and dates in the Terms refer to the Time Zone in operation at the time of the Competition.
- The Competition will be conducted during the Competition Period. The Participating Institution is not responsible for any entry that is not received by the Participating Institution during the Competition Period, for whatever reason. Incomplete or indecipherable entries will not be accepted.
- Eligibility to enter the Competition is subject to the Entry Restrictions.
- To enter the Competition, entrants must enter the Competition in accordance with the Entry Method (and any other entry details provided by the Participating Institution on the Website or from the Coordinator) during the Competition Period.
- Entrants can enter the Competition up to the Maximum Number of Entries. Entries must be submitted separately and entry must individually meet the requirements in the Schedule and are subject to the Entry Restrictions.
- Each entrant is responsible for their own costs associated with entering the Competition.
- By entering this Competition each entrant agrees that the Participating Institution may use their name, contact details and image for the purposes of the Competition. Each entrant agrees that:
(a) the Participating Institution may provide the first-placed Winner’s name and image to The University of Melbourne; and
(b) that The University of Melbourne may publish the first-placed Winner’s name and image on its website and in other forums promoting the Competition and the proposed national ‘Visualise Your Thesis’ competition.
Each name, contact detail and image are considered to be ‘personal information’ under Privacy Laws. The University of Melbourne and the Participating Institution have comprehensive privacy policies addressing issues relating to the use, collection, security and access to personal information available at their respective Privacy Policies.
- Entrants agree that they are fully responsible for any Content. The Participating Institution is not liable in any way for such Content to the full extent permitted by law and may remove or decline to publish any Content without notice for any reason whatsoever. Entrants warrant and agree that:
(a) they will not submit any Content that is unlawful or fraudulent, or that the Participating Institution may deem in breach of any intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other rights, defamatory, obscene, derogatory, pornographic, sexually inappropriate, violent, abusive, harassing, threatening, objectionable with respect to race, religion, origin or gender, not suitable for children aged under 14, or otherwise unsuitable for publication;
(b) their Content shall not contain viruses or cause injury or harm to any person or entity;
(c) they will obtain prior consent from any person who, or from the owner(s) of any property that, appears in their Content;
(d) the Content is the original work of the entrant that does not infringe the rights of any third party or otherwise they will obtain full prior consent from any person who has jointly created or has any rights in the Content to the uses contemplated by these Terms, and the Content does not infringe the rights of any third party;
(e) they consent to any use of the Content by the Participating Institution which may otherwise infringe the Content creator’s/creators’ moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1978 and warrant that they have the full authority to grant these rights; and
(f) they will comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, those governing copyright, content, defamation, privacy, publicity and the access or use of others’ computer or communication systems.
Without limiting any other terms herein, the entrant agrees to indemnify the Participating Institution for any breach of the above terms.
- As a condition of entering this Competition, each entrant licenses and grants the Participating Institution, its affiliates and sub-licensees a non-exclusive, fee-free, royalty-free, perpetual, world-wide, irrevocable and sub-licensable right to use their entry for the purposes of judging the Competition and to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish and display their entry (including Content) for all the Participating Institution’s ongoing promotional purposes including regramming, advertising, use on the Participating Institution’s website and social media channels, including promotional purposes not related this Competition. The Participating Institution will not enter into commercial arrangements or directly profit from the licence.
- For the avoidance of doubt, each entrant agrees that the licence granted to the Participating Institution by each entrant includes the right of the Participating Institution to grant a non-exclusive, fee-free, royalty-free, perpetual, world-wide, irrevocable and sub-licensable sub-licence to The University of Melbourne which permits The University of Melbourne to use and display the first-placed Winner’s entry (including Content) for all The University of Melbourne’s ongoing promotional purposes in relation to the Competition and for The University of Melbourne’s ongoing promotion and showcase of the proposed national ‘Visualise Your Thesis’ competition.
- If this Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Participating Institution, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorised intervention or fraud, the Participating Institution reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law:
(a) to disqualify any entrant; or
(b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as the Participating Institution deems appropriate.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including any statutory consumer guarantees provided under the consumer protection laws of South Africa, the Participating Institution (including its respective officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence) for any personal injury, or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity), whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Competition.
- The Winner will be determined from the valid entries received by the Participating Institution in accordance with the Judging Details.
- The Prize will be awarded as specified in the Schedule. The Prize values are the recommended retail value as provided by the relevant supplier, are in South African rand and are correct as at the time of the commencement of the Competition Period. The Winner must claim the Prize in accordance with Claim Prize. Please allow at least 28 days from the date of notification for the delivery of the Prize. Transport to claim the prize is not part of the prize and is the sole responsibility of the Winner. The Prize cannot be exchanged or redeemed for other goods, services, cash or credit. If, for some reason the Prize is unavailable, the Participating Institution reserves the right to substitute the Prize for a prize of equal or greater value.
- The Winner will be notified in accordance with Winner Notification. The Winner will also be announced on the Participating Institution’s website and published on The University of Melbourne website in accordance with clause 10 above.
- If the Winner does not comply with these Terms and/or does not claim the Prize in accordance with Claim Prize, the Participating Institution reserves the right to select a replacement winner from the remaining valid entries in accordance with clause 16 above.
- If a winner re-selection is required, the selection of the replacement winner will be conducted by the Participating Institution in accordance with Replacement Winner. The Replacement Winner will also be announced on the Participating Institution’s website and published on The University of Melbourne website in accordance with clause 10 above. The Replacement Winner must claim the Prize in accordance with Replacement Winner Claim Prize.
- The result of the Competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.